Liverpool face the imminent prospect of making a big decision over the future of Gini Wijnaldum, according to a prominent journalist.
Although failing to trouble the headline writers and plaudits, Wijnaldum has been integral to Liverpool’s title success.
The Dutchman has made 36 appearances in the Premier League this season and generally he has been very, very good.
However, his contract is up in 2021 and there appears to have been no breakthrough in talks over an extension.
Respected Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano said the Reds had begun that process last month. He claimed in The Guardian that Liverpool were hopeful of agreeing an extension after “positive talks” with the midfielder.
However, nothing has been forthcoming and The Atheltic’s Liverpool correspondent James Pearce is quoted as saying his future is “uncertain”.
Pearce said, via LFC Transferoom: “Uncertainty continues over Wijnaldum’s future. If it’s not resolved soon then they’ll have to decide whether to sell him or keep him like they did with Emre (Can) knowing he will probably leave for nothing next summer.”
James Pearce: “Uncertainty continues over Wijnaldum’s future. If it’s not resolved soon then they’ll have to decide whether to sell him or keep him like they did with Emre knowing he will probably leave for nothing next summer”
— LFC Transfer Room (@LFCTransferRoom) July 26, 2020
Romano maintains that Liverpool are working hard trying to renew Wijnaldum’s deal with the club. But the longer that continues without a resolution, the more likely the player is to be put up for sale.
No Can repeat
The Reds will not want a repeat of the Emre Can situation, which resulted in the German leaving on a free for Juventus in June 2018.
Wijnaldum has been a dream of a signing after arriving from Newcastle for £25million in the summer of 2016. There’s no way that Jurgen Klopp could replace the six-goal star for that sort of money. A fact that transfer guru Michael Edwards and the Liverpool board will be well aware of.
However, with the financial impact of Covid-19 they will not want to offer the 29-year-old, who is on around £75,000 a week, a three or four-year deal on significantly better terms.
With that in mind an agreement is yet to be found and the Reds may well have to put the player on the market this summer. And the former Feyenoord man could be the first key player of the title winning side to depart.
READ MORE: Klopp reveals plan for the upcoming fortnight after making next season vow
The post Jurgen Klopp facing real prospect of selling Liverpool title winner appeared first on teamtalk.com.